Tuesday, March 22, 2011

"To do" in 12 days!

Who knew the day would actually come when we leave the country, not to return for almost half a year?! I suppose we knew this would happen, but the reality of it happening seems like somewhat of a surprise. We want to thank you again and again for your prayers, joyful encouragement, contagious excitement, and the countless offers to help get us organized and on our way!

As we've shared before, even if this point is as far as God planned to bring us, we know that He used the past 11 months to stretch us and bless us in such unexpected ways. Ms. Magda (her name has been changed for this story) is one of these many unexpected blessings. Ms. Magda is one of Tom's patients. A quintessential sweet Italian grandma, at 85 years of age, she has been seeing Tom for relatively minimal health concerns over the past five years. As all of Tom's patients have received a letter explaining his sabbatical, Ms. Magda immediately scheduled an appointment to see him before he left. When the day came for her appointment, Tom was met with her usual sweet and warm smile. And throughout the appointment she cheerfully chattered away about her excitement for him and his trip. At the end of the appointment, once all of her health concerns were addressed, and all of her questions about Nepal were answered, she handed Tom an envelope. Covered in stickers, and various exclamations of encouragement, enclosed was a card containing this prayer:

Good and Loving God,
As I place my hands together in prayer,
I turn my heart and mind to You.

Fill me with Your infinite love, 
and let my weakness be replaced by Your strength.
In all that I say and do,
guide me in ways that are right and just.

Direct my hands to do Your work here on earth.
Let them be instruments of healing and reconciliation,
that my actions may offer compassion to all people.

Touch my heart, Lord,
that I may be a channel of Your boundless love,
especially for the poor and suffering.

Inspire me to draw close to You in my times of need,
and to help me to lead others to You by my good example.

Most loving heart of Jesus,
grant me health in mind, body and spirit,
that I may serve You with all my strength.
Touch gently this life which You have created,
and let Your Holy Spirit guide me now and forever.

Amen.

Her closing sentiments to her "good doctor" were, "May the God of hope fill you with joy and peace!" Holding Ms. Magda's aging hands, Tom prayed with her. They prayed together not as doctor and patient, but for the first time, as brother and sister in Christ.

So we thank you, Ms. Magda, for gently and lovingly reminding us that "all there is to do" in the next 12 days is nothing compared to all that He plans to do through us wherever He has us!

by His grace, for His glory




1 comment: